Many blogs and websites have published suggested questions on what to ask your florist, event designer or floral designer before committing to them.
Some have some good questions, some have just recycled what other blogs have published and some are just downright ridiculous.
Just as photographers have different personalities and styles, so do floral and event designers. And given that you as a wedding couple are likely to be arranging quite a lot of what ‘makes your day about you’ with your floral or event designer, you should feel like you get along and that they get you. It can be incredibly frustrating on both ends, if you just don’t speak the same language and this does happen, simply because we are all different.
A face to face consultation is always a good idea in our opinion, as it allows you to see if you communicate similarly and if you are being heard and understood by your potential floral/event designer. It also allows them to get to know you a little better so that they bear your personalities in mind when making design and flower choices on your behalf.
We are also great believers that even if you have a wedding planner appointed, you should still meet with your floral designer. Not to do so, would be like getting your wedding dress designed without talking to or meeting the dress designer. Each creative has a way of working, honed over years of experience in their field. And they know what questions to ask you during a consultation in order to root out what is really important to you, to then help you allocate your budget appropriately and effectively, to make suggestions that will appeal to you and to check on subtle preferences that may not come through in written feedback.
Here are some valuable questions that we think you should ask you floral designer:
- Are you available on my date?
- Do you do other weddings or events on my date?
- If yes, do you have enough staff to deliver all events satisfactorily?
- Do you have a minimum budget that you work with?
- How long have you been in business as a floral designer?
- What can you suggest to help me maximise my budget?
- Do you condition the flowers before arranging?
- What is your deposit and refunds policy?
- Can you do the style of flowers that I am after?
- Can you show me examples of your work in the style that I am after?
- What other decor elements or services can you provide or arrange on my behalf, e.g. candles, glassware, chairs, linen?
- Do you offer a mockup service?
- Is the mockup available before or after booking your services?
- If I want the guests to take the flowers after the wedding, is that possible with the designs that I like?
- Do you come and setup my wedding or do you send staff to do so?
- Do you have insurance and public liability insurance?
- Do you have terms and conditions? May I see them?